Search This Blog

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Food Superstitions

In honor of Halloween the girl who ate Fredericksburg has compiled a list of Food Superstitions

1. If you're eating noodles you should never cut them.  Long noodles represent long life and cutting them means you are cutting life short.  So manners aside go ahead and slurp those noodles up.

2. When you have tea, only one person should do the pouring.  If a second person shares the task it's bad luck.

3. If you want someone to fall in love with you, forget jewelry.  Give them an orange.

4. Never hand spicy food directly to someone because it will bring discord into your relationship.  Instead place it on the table in front of them so they can pick it up.

5. If you're making a cake for Christmas, make sure everyone has a turn mixing the batter otherwise it's bad luck.  This is especially important for the single people in the family, if they don't take part they will remain unattached for another whole year.

6.  If you borrow a dish you should never return it empty.  Any good cooks out there want to borrow some of my dishes?

7.  We all know that it's bad luck to spill salt accidentally.  The remedy being to throw it over left shoulder to hit the devil in the eye.  But did you know that if you want to get rid of an unwanted visitor all you have to do is sprinkle salt behind them?  And I bet they'll leave even quicker if they see you following them around doing it. 

8.  A Russian superstition says that if you someone finishes your unfinished food they will be able to know your thoughts.  Maybe that's why I make my family share bites of their food with me.  "Come on, I just want to know what you're thinking."  "I'm thinking you better keep you're hands off my food."

9.  I partly knew this one... breaking the wishbone... If you cook a turkey, two people can make a wish and break the wishbone.  Whoever gets the biggest piece gets their wish.  But here's the part I never knew.  You have to use only your pinkies to break it.

 And finally, someone try this and tell me if it works..

10.  If an unmarried woman combs her hair on Halloween night while looking in the mirror and eating an apple... she will see the reflection of her future husband over her left shoulder.

Happy Halloween everyone... Once again this is the girl who ate Fredericksburg.  Thanks for reading my list of superstitions.  But remember, I didn't come up with these.  So don't judge me.

No comments:

Post a Comment